Benefits of Pilates
A major focus of the Pilates method is alignment. When alignment is not good the patterns that develop over time can cause undue stress on the musculoskeletal system. Chronic pain in the neck, shoulders and back are often due to this distortion in the body.
Since Pilates exercises are designed to re-align the body and teach the mind/body to work with the correct muscle systems, the body, with careful practice, begins to correct itself and the pain due to poor posture begins to disappear. A renewed vigour for life arises along with more energy and freedom of movement.
More specifically some of the benefits that you can expect to experience are:
- An increased awareness of your body and how your body moves.
- A more balanced muscular system.
- Better posture which can help alleviate chronic pain caused by poor alignment.
- A flexible spine capable of moving more freely in all directions.
- An increased range of movement in the joints.
- Greater strength in the deep core postural muscles, thus creating a more structurally sound body.
- Improved use of the breath, which allows body to receive more oxygen and eliminate more waste products, as well as being very meditative.
- Reduced stress by clearing the mind and learning to be in the present moment.
- And so much more…